10) The Pope makes his first visit to the United States. Americans embrace the new Pope on a larger scale for first time during visit.
9) Hurricane Ike, third most destructive hurricane in United States history makes landfall.
8) Republican Presidential Nominee Sen. John McCain gets checked by security as he prepares to board an airplane. An image on the preoccupartion of security in the United States.
7) A Tibetan Buddhist protests at the Chinese Consulate. Many boycotted, protested and tried to stop the Olympic torch from making it to Beijing, China over the issue of Chinese oppression of the Tibetan people.
6) President of the Islam Republic of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmandinejad wears 3D glasses as he is about to watch a program about an Iranian rocket during a visit to Iran's space control center in Tehran.
5) Image of tearful goodbye video of President George W. Bush's final term comes closer to an end.
4) Since 2004, Hillary Clinton was widely the favorite to be the 44th President and first woman President of the United States exits in a telling image as she loses the Democrat Party nomination to Sen. Barack Obama
3) Telling image of a man clutching his parished loved one in the aftermath of a Russian bombing attack in Georgia.
2) Gregory Gochtvott from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania decided to enlist in the National Guard at the age of 40 after he is laid off from his job at the Wachovia Bank during the economic crisis. He was shipped to Iraq in December.
1) Victory and a New Hope. Sen. Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States and the first African American U.S. President. What began as a darkhorse chance against Hillary Clinton during the Democratoc Party Primaries on the steps of the Capitol Building in Springfield, Illinois transformed into the hope of a nation.